Wednesday, May 5, 2010

What a P1800 Japan Surplus Sewing Machine Can Do?

    My Sewing Machine... no he's not a singer, he's my BROTHER

Ever since my husband bought me this Japan surplus sewing machine, I've made a dozen projects already. But it was only a year after it was bought have I found out that inside this box was about 10 footings than can do 14 kinds of stitches. Of course it wasn't that easy coz everything is written in Japanese characters. So I had to try everything, most I did not use. But still great coz I can do seams and zizgzags.


Patterns and textile collection


Sewing wasn't only limited to clothes. The most exciting part is making of costumes... that's where I started. I'm just a beginner (humbly). But when you're good in math, doing pattern could be easier coz it needs a lot of calculations (measurements and estimates) haha!! especially which part do you begin sewing, so it's also analysis haha!! I've bought magazines of sewing patterns and guides, but the cheaper ones are Japanese. The consistency of sewing machine and magazines being Japanese isn't any help, coz I still don't understand anything!!! But I just look at the pictures and the pattern guides.








Photos of  kids are cartoonized for protection of identity, please understand






As for the costumes, I just search over the internet the characters and what they wear, create a vision on how my kids would wear them and start buying the textiles. Most of the time I buy linens that I don't really need at the moment but they look cute so I buy a meter or 2. So right now I got a textile collection!!! Whenever I feel like sewing, I just choose what I have. As for the costumes, here's the list that I made: Narnia Queen Susan (complete with inner garment, bow and arrow, belt and leather strap), Tinkerbell (complete with wings, hair tie, and fluffy shoes, Little Red Riding Hood's hood☺, Spanish costume-Valencian (complete with choker, veil and lace apron), golden cape, and a simple tutu.





Sewing is a lot of fun especially if you have cute little kids (girls!!!). But it's not limited to that, I sew foam covers, fitted sheets, set of 8 seat covers, curtains, and Poi (filled with a handful of sand). Hey! I even made a little ottoman chair for my 2 year old, placed outside her (now opened) crib. That needed carpentry work, but it's another story... By the way, I did the carpentry too.









After completing 2 sets of curtains, I made a cute little crabby hat and that's where I stopped. Need another inspiration to go back to sewing... it's summer time and I'm not into it yet. Guess I can't sew swimsuits! haha!










Written: 5/5/2010 6:06pm

4 comments:

  1. Hi!your projects are awesome! I enjoy sewing too,but more into patchwork & quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!your projects are awesome! I enjoy sewing too,but more into patchwork & quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi ! may i ask, where did you buy your sewing machine ? also, what is the model of that brother machine ? btw, your projects are awesome . i wanna try that too !

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi,
    Can you tell me the model of your machine

    ReplyDelete